Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Pork

Last night I went to a very difficult toning class at the gym. One that was so ridiculously impossible that at one point I had no choice but to burst into laughter at how I was panting and flailing around.

Afterwards, I went home with visions of a nice shower, a big glass of water, and a light salad for dinner. I am fit! I am magnificent!

On the drive home, Devin texted me to say he was still out and asked if I would turn off the crock pot for him. Say what?! Is he cooking for himself? Sacrebleu!

When I walked in the door of my apartment, I was confronted with a smell that I would identify as meat fart. Like when you walk into an unfamiliar old person's house and the whole thing smells like there's a giant pot of deer meat cooking away on the stove, simmering in onions.

I wanted to barf.

I walked over to the crock pot sitting on the counter and stared through its glass lid. It looked like a rabbit had been skinned and hacked up. But that can't be right. I know we're broke, but we're not hunt-for-food-in-our-courtyard broke. When I removed the lid to look inside, I guessed that probably it was chicken? Maybe?

Could it be some special treat for the dog? Have we really achieved this degree of spoilery?

20 minutes passed, as I made my own dinner, frequently eyeing the crock pot suspiciously. When Devin finally got home, I inquired about the indiscernible meat wads in the pot.

Turns out, it was the makings of pulled pork. Hum. That's acceptable. It still struck me as odd, however, that he went through all this trouble since he hadn't recently expressed a desire for a 2 week supply of pulled pork.

His explanation of why he did it only led to more questions.

"Because Ryan dropped off this extra pig leg he had."

4 comments:

Felicia said...

So jealous! I love pork. I guess not if it smells like you described it though...

cOm said...

why is ryan carrying around pig appendages?

Brian said...

Omg, that's hilarious. And really makes me want pulled pork for some reason.

Anonymous said...

I always want to know which part of the "pork" was "pulled."

Totally off subject, but you might be interested in a Hollywood-based blog called Crazy Days and Nights. My girlfriend introduced me to it. Hosted by an entertainment insider who I believe is a lawyer...if you've heard of this already, sorry for the rerun, but I find the "blind items" he posts pretty funny (sometimes galling).

Pax,
SA