Thursday, January 3, 2008

2008. Or, 2007 part II.

Oh boy, a new year! Typically, I shun New Year's Eve and all things related, but this year I decided not to be such a crap about it. So, instead of locking myself in my apartment, sitting on my fat ass, and swigging champagne from the bottle, Devin (boyfriend) and I rang in the New Year in New York. It was a great trip, during which I had not one, but TWO gourmet cheese plates and got to wear a hotel complimentary bathrobe for the first time in my life. Ah, I felt just like Kevin McCallister in Home Alone 2: Lost in New York.

And now that I'm back home I am working on my list of New Year's resolutions. My dad has a theory that no one should aim to enforce these resolutions right from January 1st because there is still too much stuff going on and too much holiday food to eat. So instead I set a January 7th start date, which is precisely why I am currently drinking a starbucks mocha with whip cream before my vague resolution to eat healthy kicks in.

I can't figure out how many New Year's resolutions one person should have, but it seems like the longer the list, the greater the chance of staying true to at least one of them for the full year. Here's what I have so far:

1. No more starbucks mochas. (In December I gained 5 pounds from these little buggers!)
2. Drink only 1-2 glasses of wine per night. (Not aiming too high here.)
3. Stop interrupting people when they talk just because I think I have something so witty to say that it simply cannot wait.
4. Stop writing blog while at work. It's not professional.
5. Only have cheese in one meal per day. (mmm. cheese.)
6. Quit acting like "party cigarettes" means something and just stop smoking altogether.
7. Stop telling my coworkers stories about my cats, it makes me look super lame.
8. Join gym.
9. Go to gym.
10. Read a biography of Oscar Wilde.
11. Read James Joyce's "Ulysses" so that I can tell people I'm reading it.
12. Learn how to play poker.
13. Make jazz the new thing that I'm into.
14. Get car washed more than twice.
15. When complimented on clothing, don't say "Oh, it's just from Target."

Ok, that's all I have so far. What am I missing? What are your resolutions? I'd like to know.

1 comment:

Inono said...

15 resolutions?! You are hardcore! I don't have any, because I don't need one more thing to fail at in life.

On another note, NYE in NYC is way better than anywhere else, I have decided. I have had two there, and they are both top of the list.