Monday, January 7, 2008

New Year's resolutions: Day 1

So far have not had any food (and therefore no cheese yet!) and have only had regular black coffee. Last night I had a mocha, but it was sort of a send off mocha and also I needed something warm to drink while standing in the rain, waiting in line for a UCB show. It's only 9:25 am so I can't be expected to have joined the gym or learned poker or anything yet.

I have another thought on the New Year. I've noticed that New Year's Eve and New Year's Day have been combined into one all purpose event called "New Years." Rarely will someone ask, "What are you doing for New Year's Eve?" Instead, people prefer the phrase, "What are you doing for New Years?" And it's not really like the latter has fewer words to get through, but it just seems easier to say. I've said it too. Although I always feel stupid and remorseful afterwards.

What I can't tolerate is the abuse of the English language that is the phrase: Happy New Years!

Barf barf barf! Unless you are wishing friends and colleagues the happiest of upcoming decades, then saying years makes no sense. Complete disregard for the existence and intention of the apostrophe-S combo.

And that's the lesson of the day from Professor Snobby Pants High Horse.

1 comment:

Inono said...

Thank you!!! I just got an e-mail today that read as follows:

"Happy New Years!
As your new time approver and I will be taking care of your hours starting today
Please submit any hours that need to be adjusted
If needed you can reach me at 865-XXXX"

Not only was she wishing us many centuries of happiness, she was thoughtful enough to also conserve periods. I think it must be her way of saving ink, or paper, or computer memory. She's so thoughtful!